According to studies, most people don’t know if they have bad breath. Others can smell the odor, but the person whom the odor belongs to is clueless. That makes bad breath even more embarrassing!
Bad breath is clinically known as halitosis. While it can come from the stomach, most often halitosis is the result of bacterial waste products in the mouth. Bacteria are alive, and you have over 600 types of the little critters in your mouth at any given time. Certain types of bacteria emit a smelly sulfur compound in plaque. The best way to beat this type of halitosis is to keep your mouth clean.
To make sure that your breath is not offensive, follow these tips:
- See the dentist twice a year for cleanings and checkups
- Get tooth decay and gum disease treated immediately
- Brush twice a day with a medium toothbrush
- When brushing, clean your tongue with a tongue scraper
- Floss once a day
- Avoid mints and mouthrinses that contain alcohol
- Keep your mouth moist by drinking plenty of water
- Away from home, don’t eat smelly foods, like garlic, onion, and curry
- Keep a mini toothbrush and handheld flosser in your car or purse, and use it after meals or odiferous drinks, like coffee and alcohol
- Keep your dentures and partials very clean
- Ask someone on my team about BreathRx products to use at home and on the go
I’m Dr. James Stewart, and in my Livonia dental office, we help patients overcome bad breath and other dental problems every day. If you need a general or restorative dentist, call 734-425-4400 to schedule a consultation with me. You might also visit my website, www.JamesStewartDDS.com, to learn more about my practice, services, and dental health in general. I want to personally invite you to come in for a consultation. Whether you need checkups and cleanings or you’ve lost teeth and need a more comprehensive dental treatment plan, I’d like to help you enjoy better health and higher quality of life.