Easter is a great time for family and friends to gather and enjoy a feast. Since Americans are becoming more conscious of their oral and overall health, we look for deserts that are good for our bodies and teeth. Enjoy this low-fat carrot cake recipe for your Easter feast.
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots (4-6 medium)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut chips, or flaked coconut, toasted
- To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Drain pineapple in a sieve set over a bowl, pressing on the solids. Reserve the drained pineapple and 1/4 cup of the juice.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and the 1/4 cup pineapple juice in a large bowl until blended.
- Stir in pineapple, carrots and 1/4 cup coconut.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until blended. Stir in the nuts.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
To prepare frosting and finish cake: Beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
I’m Dr. James Stewart, a Livonia dentist, and I encourage maintaining proper oral health to maintain good overall health. Diet contributes to oral health, as well. If it is time for your six-month dental visit, call my office at (734)425-4400 to schedule an appointment. Bon appetite!