Preventive dentistry involves treatment designed to help you avoid the onset of common problems, addressing them before they begin. We offer a number of seemingly minor treatments that are designed to strengthen your smile against the risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Patients of all ages, from children to adults, can benefit from preventive treatment.
Our Preventive Treatments
- Checkups: A checkup should occur once every six months. During the procedure, we carefully examine your teeth, gums, mouth tissue, and jaw for signs of trouble. We may also use advanced technology, such as digital x-rays. We look for indicators of tooth decay, gingivitis, gum disease, TMJ disorder/bruxism, and even oral cancer. Identifying problem in the earliest stages can improve the chances of a full recovery and prevent a problem from worsening.
- Cleanings: During the same visit as your checkup we urge you to have your teeth cleaned. A cleaning is the only way to completely remove plaque buildup from the teeth. Using a manual tool or an ultrasonic scaler, we will remove plaque and tartar from the teeth. We will then polish the teeth. The result is a brighter smile and a reduced risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Dental Sealants: For children, dental sealants place a coating over the hard-to-reach molars, preventing food from becoming trapped between them. This helps fight tooth decay in little smiles. The coating then wears away with time.
- Fluoride Treatments: We can also help prevent the onset of tooth decay with a fluoride treatment. Fluoride remineralizes the teeth, strengthening the outer layer of protective tooth enamel. The teeth are then less likely to develop cavities.
- TMJ Disorder Treatment: We can also use an oral appliance o possibly restorative dentistry to help address TMJ disorder. Caused by jaw joint strain, TMJ disorder can make opening and closing the mouth completely difficult without treatment.