Want Stronger Teeth? Drink Milk

woman drinking milkBrushing and flossing your teeth every day helps keep them clean, but strength is also a deciding factor in your teeth’s longevity. Your teeth are continuously subjected to incredible amounts of bite pressure, and are constantly under attack by harmful, infectious oral bacteria. While some foods exacerbate the attacks against your teeth, others are highly beneficial to your oral health and help strengthen your teeth’s protection against the forces that threaten them. Milk and other dairy products, which contain ample amounts of tooth enamel-building calcium, can help keep your teeth strong by supplying them with essential minerals.  

It’s All in the Ingredients

The super-resilient tooth enamel that surrounds and protects your teeth is made almost entirely of mineral crystals (over 96%; the remaining 4% is comprised of water and proteins that shape the mineral crystals). The majority of tooth enamel’s crystals are made from calcium and phosphate, with traces of fluoride and other minerals, as well. Since your body doesn’t produce calcium naturally, you have to consume it within your meals and beverages. Milk and dairy products are famous for their calcium and phosphate contents, and other foods are rich in the dental health minerals, as well.

Other Foods with Calcium

If you’re lactose intolerant, or simply don’t like the taste of milk and dairy, then you can find calcium in a number of other foods, including;

  • Fortified orange juice
  • Soybeans
  • Salmon or sardines
  • Green leafy vegetables, like spinach and collard greens
  • Enriched grains and breads
  • Calcium supplements (if recommended by your physician)

Protect Your Teeth the Old-Fashioned Way

Technically, eating is more old-fashioned than brushing your teeth, but most patients learn about hygiene before learning that feeding their teeth is important. Aside from providing your teeth with the minerals they need, you can help keep teeth strong by controlling the oral bacteria that produce enamel-attacking acids. Daily hygiene helps eliminate bacteria and the sticky dental plaque they form, limiting their ability to weaken your enamel and improving your chances of preventing cavities. You can ensure that your diet and hygiene are working by attending a dental checkup and cleaning at least once every six months, during which Dr. Stewart will professionally clean your teeth and examine your mouth for signs of trouble.

About Your Livonia Dentist:

Our philosophy is that excellent dental begins with developing a relationship with the patient. James Steward, DDS, and our compassionate staff proudly serve patients of all ages from Livonia, Farmington Hills, Plymouth, Northville, Dearborn Heights, Garden City, and all surrounding communities. To schedule an appointment, call our office today at (734) 425-4400.