For patients who want to completely alter the appearance of their smiles, porcelain veneers offer drastic results. The porcelain-made shells cover your existing teeth after some preparatory work. While the difference in your smile is hard to beat with any other procedure, veneers have a certain fragility to them. Veneers require diligent and gentle care and changing a few habits will produce long-lasting results. For this reason, your Livonia general dentist, Dr. James Stewart, offers a few hints to maintaining your smile and veneers beautiful.
Proper Care Determines Veneer Longevity
- Watch what you eat. The average lifespan of veneers is up to 15 years; however, the longevity is dependent upon at-home care. If your natural teeth can stain, veneers can too. For coffee, red wine, and sodas drinkers, take care to watch how many of these beverages you’re consuming to avoid heavy stains. Additionally, hard foods can crack and chip porcelain veneers. Therefore, try chewing harder foods with your back teeth to keep the pressure off the veneers.
- Continue a teeth cleaning regimen. Veneers require as much care as natural teeth. Daily cleaning that includes brushing, flossing, and rinsing can’t falter. Furthermore, visiting the dentist twice-a-year is still necessary. During visits the dentist can detect any issues with your veneers and provide treatment before the problem worsens.
- Change toothpastes. Though patients can use any toothpaste they desire, some people have concerns about surface scratches. To avoid any surface damage, use a toothpaste that isn’t very abrasive. Also, if you’re using a toothpaste that’s free of fluoride, use a separate fluoride product at least once a day.
- Protect your smile from damage. As with natural teeth, protecting your veneers is crucial, especially during contact sports. If you play particularly rough sports, use a mouthguard. With knocking elbows, knees, and collisions your veneers become more susceptible to chipping.
- Have maintenance polishes. Should your veneers become stained, ask your Livonia general dentist for a polish. This may not remove all surface stains, however, it will improve the appearance of your veneers.
Consult Your Livonia Dentist for Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
Your Livonia general dentist can make your smile look beautiful and natural with the help of veneers. If you’re considering getting veneers, talk to Dr. Stewart about the procedure. Together, you can decide whether veneers will provide the most successful results. To schedule an appointment, call our office at (734) 425-4400. Also, visit our website to view services, testimonials, and print patient forms. We look forward to treating patients from Farmington Hills, Plymouth, Northville, Dearborn Heights, Garden City, and surrounding areas.