When it comes to comprehensive dental care, Michigan dentist Dr. James Stewart provides dental services for a variety of patients with a variety of dental needs. He understands that everyone’s dental needs are different, and he also understands that choosing a dentist for you and your family is a big decision that requires a lot of research and a big leap of faith. Read on to find out Dr. Stewart’s top 10 tips for choosing a dentist.
Choosing the Perfect Dentist for You
- When you’re looking for a new dentist, you want to find someone that you can trust with your most valuable physical asset—your smile. Who better to ask than your most trusted friends, family members, and coworkers? To find a quality dentist in your area, first ask the people you see on a daily basis for recommendations.
- Use your resources, specifically the Internet, to find dentists in your area. Simply type your location into Google or another search engine, add the word “dentist,” and watch the results roll in. The thing to remember about using the Internet to find a dentist is that the dentist that comes up first may have spent the most money on building a web presence, but may not be the right dentist for you. To find out if a dentist is truly reputable, take a look at the patient reviews or testimonials on his or her website as well as on review sites like Yelp.com and the doctor’s Google Places page.
- Find a dentist who provides the services you are looking for. If a dentist has a decent website, you’ll know what dental services he or she provides with the click of a button. If your teeth are healthy, but you want cosmetic dentistry to improve the appearance of your smile, don’t go to a dentist that treats mostly gum-disease patients. If you need help restoring health and function to your smile, don’t seek out a dentist that provides sleep dentistry treatments.
- Don’t make an appointment with the first seemingly reputable dentist you find online. Instead, call a few different practices and have a conversation with each one. Take note of how the person who answers the phone sounds, how helpful he or she is, how much time he or she devotes to answering your questions, and the way the conversation goes overall. If he or she is not helpful, is unable to answer your questions, or rushes you off the phone, move on to the next dentist office on your list.
- If the phone conversation goes well, schedule a new patient appointment. When you arrive at the office for your appointment, take note of everything—the cleanliness and comfort of the office, how you’re greeted, how long you have to wait, the helpfulness of the staff, if the other patients appear satisfied with the service they’ve received, etc.
Check back soon for more tips for choosing the perfect dentist for you!
Your Livonia, MI Dental Home
Dr. Stewart and our team would like to be your new dental home. For a complete list of dental services we offer to our patients from Farmington Hills, Novi, Flint, Plymouth, and the surrounding communities, visit us online at jamesstewartdds.com or call our Livonia dentist office at (734) 425-4400.