With proper oral hygiene, teeth can last a lifetime. Today, more than ever before, people are keeing their natural teeth throughout life. When it comes to care and maintenance of teeth, here are some interesting dental health facts to keep in mind:
- 50 percent of people polled state they notice a smile before any other feature .
- 80 percent of men and women feel guilty when they forget to brush their teeth. However over 75 percent of American adults have some level of gum disease.
- Three out of four people admit, they don’t change their toothbrushes as often as they should. Toothbrushes should be replaced every six to eight weeks or immediately after an illness.
- While brushing your teeth, maintain a six-foot distance from the commode. Airborne particles from flushing can travel up to six feet.
- The average woman smiles approximately 62 times a day, while a man generally smiles only eight times a day.
- Children laugh 400 times a day, and adults only laugh about 15 times a day.
- Adults lose more than 164 million hours of work annually due to dental visits and oral health problems.
- 44 percent of dental expenses are paid out-of-pocket.
- The most popular color of toothbrush is blue.
- The average toothbrush contains 2,500 bristles.
To maintain teeth for a lifetime, brush twice a day, floss once a day, rinse after meals, and visit your dentist every six months for a thorough cleaning and checkup. Contact Dr. James Stewart at (734)425-4400 to schedule your semi-annual dental visit. Dr. Stewart maintains healthy teeth for residents of Livonia, Farmington, Farmington Hills, and surrounding areas.