Do you suffer from frequent headaches? Then perhaps you can find relief naturally. With several medication-free methods, you can lessen the frequency of your headaches. Dr. James Stewart, your Livonia dentist offers his patients some alternative headache therapy techniques.
Helpful Methods for Alleviating a Headache
- Massage. Though massaging may only provide temporary relief, it does work immediately. Your Livonia dentist recommends rubbing your neck, temples, head, and shoulders since these areas tend to carry the most tension.
- Acupuncture. This ancient practice can trigger certain nerves throughout the body, which promote relaxation and alleviates pain. Many patients find the treatments helpful; plus, the cost is more than affordable for nearly anyone.
- Hot and cold. As one of the simplest methods for headache therapy, using heating pads and ice packs tops the list. For tension-based headaches, place a heating pad at the base of your neck to relax those muscles. You can also use a cold pack on your forehead to constrict the inflamed blood vessels, which occurs during headaches.
- Meditation. Your headache could stem from stress, which means finding a way to relax could help alleviate the discomfort. If you’re interested in trying meditation, find a quiet, distraction-free space to clear your mind everyday. Over time, you’ll notice a decrease in your stress level and headaches.
- Yoga. Care for a little stretching? Studies have shown that patients who practice yoga experience less headaches and fewer bouts of anxiety. Yoga promotes meditation alongside a more flexible, relaxed body.
- Botox. More commonly known for fighting wrinkles and maintaining a youthful look, Botox has been proven to help alleviate headaches. Those who suffer from chronic migraines also find great relief in Botox treatments. Though injections do run high ($350 per one) many insurance companies cover the cost, if the patient can’t find another headache relief method.
Learn More about Headache Relief Your Livonia Dentist
For more information on headache relief techniques and to learn common causes of headaches, talk to your Livonia dentist. Dr. Stewart can find the cause of your headaches and offer more remedies to manage the pain and discomfort. To schedule an appointment, call our office at (734) 425-4400. Also, visit our website to view services, testimonials, and print patient forms. We look forward to treating patients from Farmington Hills, Plymouth, Northville, Dearborn Heights, Garden City, and surrounding areas.