Many mature adults sport dentures as a popular dental replacement. Typically, if the denture isn’t implant supported, an adhesive is used to secure the teeth in place. However, many people don’t know the proper method for applying denture adhesive. For this reason, Dr. James Stewart, your Livonia senior dentist, has formulated a step-by-step guide for a successful denture adhesive application.
The Step-by-Step Guide
- Use a small amount. A single dab of adhesive about the size of an eraser—the ones on the back of a wooden pencil—should do trick. Then, apply this amount on the center groove of your dentures. Most importantly, don’t spread the adhesive around.
- Apply the same amount to the left side. Apply the same aforementioned amount of adhesive on the left side of the denture groove; repeat this step for the right side. Should you have larger dentures, you may need two dabs on either side of the center groove.
- Ensure the fit. After the adhesive has been applied, your Livonia senior dentist recommends testing the dentures. Position the dentures on your gums and check the fit. You shouldn’t feel any discomfort or looseness. If your dentures don’t feel quite right, simply remove them and apply more adhesive; continue this process until the denture is secured in place.
- Secure the denture plate. Once your dentures feel comfortable, move on to adjusting the plate. Add a number of dabs of adhesive onto your denture plate and place it in the mouth. Check the fit and make sure the plate is snug, secure, and doesn’t cause any discomfort. If your denture plate doesn’t seem to fit properly, apply more denture adhesive.
- Store the adhesive. Immediately after use, replace the cap to the denture adhesive. This prevents the product from drying out. Take care to store the adhesive in a cool, dry place until the next application.
Your Livonia Dentist offers Senior Dentistry
For more helpful tips and hints on denture care, talk to Dr. Stewart. He can offer you suggestions for the most effective cleaning methods and general denture maintenance. To schedule an appointment with your Livonia senior dentist, call our office at (734) 425-4400. Also, visit our website to view services, testimonials, and print patient forms. We look forward to treating patients from Farmington Hills, Plymouth, Northville, Dearborn Heights, Garden City, and surrounding areas.