For patients who have made the final decision to receive dental implants, this article may benefit you. Having dental implants placed is an involved process that requires a lot of time and patience. Thus, before the actual surgery takes place, it’s important to know the preparatory steps of the procedure.
Dr. James Stewart, your Livonia dentist, explains how to prepare for you dental implant procedure.
Step-By-Step Dental Implant Preparation Guide
- Take care to have comprehensive dental exam, which includes full x-rays and models of your mouth. This allows your Livonia dentist to determine how the procedure will take place.
- Inform your dentist of any medical conditions you’re currently experiencing. For example, patients with heart issues may need to take certain antibiotics before the implantation begins. Additionally, certain medications won’t mix well with the anesthesia, which would require the dentist to adjust the type of anesthesia used during the procedure.
- Reduce or stop smoking and drinking in the weeks leading up-to the surgery. Smoking and drinking seriously inhibit your ability to heal properly. Furthermore, these habits could cause the implant to fail.
- Roughly six hours before you undergo the dental implant surgery, avoid eating or drinking anything. You may drink small amounts of water, though, if you must.
- On the day of surgery, wear loose and comfortable clothing. Since the dentist sedates you for the procedure, it’s important to feel comfortable for the duration of implantation process.
Additionally, ask a family member or friend to drive you home post-procedure. Due the medication, the dentist will not allow you to drive or operate heavy machinery for at least 24 hours. If possible, have someone in your home for roughly a day to help you adjust to the healing period.
For Dental Implant Procedures, Visit Your Livonia Dentist
If you’re planning on having a dental implant procedure soon, take care to follow the correct steps. Before the day of implantation, Dr. Stewart will walk you through the procedure to ensure you’re properly informed. To schedule an appointment with our Livonia dental practice at (734) 425-4400. Also, visit our website to view services, testimonials, and print patient forms. We look forward to treating patients from Farmington Hills, Plymouth, Northville, Dearborn Heights, Garden City, and surrounding areas.