If you don’t sleep well, quality of life suffers. That’s just a fact. Studies show a startling link between overall health, state of mind, and quality of sleep. Health Ambition published an article this week that shares some of the negative results poor sleep.
- A sleep disorder or not getting enough sleep increases the risk for heart attack, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, Alzheimer’s disease, low-weight birth, diabetes complications, and other serious health problems. In addition, your body’s immune system will weaken without good sleep. You’ll be more prone to catch colds, the flu, and other communicable diseases.
- Getting good rest can help relieve pain, whether chronic or injury related. In the Health Ambition article, one doctor was quoted as saying that a sleeping medication can be more effective than a painkiller.
- When your mind and body are well rested, you’re at less risk for accidents. Some of the biggest disasters in history, like the Exxon Valdez and the Challenger, are directly linked to a person who did not get proper sleep. In fact, one million car crashes a year in our nation occur when the driver is tired.
- You’ll have a better state of mind—you’ll feel good—when you sleep well. Tired people often feel irritable, stressed, emotional, and they also have a higher suicide risk. Now, good sleep won’t guarantee a life of happiness, but it will help promote a positive mental outlook.
- People who don’t get enough sleep may be prone to gaining weight or having a weight problem. Leptin is a hormone that controls hunger. Inadequate sleep allows leptin levels to drop, so you’re more likely to feel hungry… which mean you’ll eat! In addition, if you’re tired, do you really have the energy to exercise? Probably not.
If you’re not getting enough rest, a sleep disorder could be the culprit. I’m Dr. James Stewart, a sleep dentistry doctor in Livonia, Michigan. I’d like to talk with you about your condition. If we determine that you have obstructive sleep apnea, a common condition, I can prescribe an oral appliance that may solve your problem.
You deserve solid sleep, quality days, and a positive mental attitude. Give me a call, and let’s get you the quality sleep you deserve!
Source: Health Ambition